Saturday 22 September 2012



What is your flower heritage?

Heritage Day is one of our newly created public holidays. It’s a day in which all are encouraged to celebrate their culture and traditions in the wider context of the great diversity of cultures, beliefs, and traditions that make up the nation of South Africa. In 2005 after media campaign we generally refer to this holiday as national braai day. Never underestimate the power of advertising!

Seeing everyone in their cultural dress yesterday made me think of our diversity and our different backgrounds would effect our “flower heritage”. Protea are our national flower and although I now appreciate their beauty this was not always the case and they don’t feature in my flower culture. My earliest flower memory must be the “Yesterday Today and Tomorrow” in my grandmothers, Jessie’s front garden. Strange as it may seem she also lived on Queen Street in Kensington, three blocks from our shop. African Violet plants would also feature as her kitchen was never without one.

I also remember walking home from school and picking the Rthumaleln Creeper flowers taking them appart and sucking the sweet nector. My first introduction to cut flowers came from the” Biggie Best” store in Eastgate, they used to sell bunches of mixed flowers in buckets outside their store and I remember begging my mom to buy me one for my birthday. As a result every time I make a bunch of flowers with Cape Green and Statice my memory is tweaked and I have a smile on my face. I love these triggers that take you back to your past and ensure that you never forget. Mostly I enjoy the warm wave of love and appreciation that engulf you, even for a second.


Be mindful of the fact that you are creating these same memories for the little people in your life every time you interact with them. Teach them to appreciate the beauty of flowers and plants and you might be part of their “flower heritage”

Have a wonderful week and remember everything you do is important as you have exchanged one day of your life for it.

Written By Jackie West-Evans “Living My Dream” 

No comments:

Post a Comment